the red carpet was, overall, a washout. tons of nudes, lots of glitter and tulle, and lots of safe looks....and a few trainwrecks! without further ado..i give you the best and worst of the Oscars, 2011!
1. Cate Blanchett (Givenchy Haute Couture): obviously, Cate blew me away last night in this stunning Givenchy Haute Couture gown. this dress surpasses fashion, this dress is art. i know this dress will garner it's share of criticism, but that's only because it's so fashion, it's hard for someone like Joan Rivers to wrap her head around it (love you Joan, but you always like the safe dresses!). Cate looks insanely chic with her bob and simple make-up, letting the dress be the star, but she doesn't let the dress wear her, which is quite a feat! when Riccardo Tisci presented this couture collection a few weeks ago, i wasn't floored...
but as i've seen this collection on real women (Florence Welch at the Grammy's and now Cate), it's incredibly stunning and doesn't seem quite so alien. Cate was an all around hit last night, and put every woman who went "safe" to shame.
2. Gwyneth Paltrow (Calvin Klein Collection): GP can do no wrong! this stunning floor length shrine to minimalism from Fransisco Costa is a dream on her, and the Louis Vuitton brooch at her hip adds just the right touch of color and is the perfect accessory. this dress is a custom creation, although the shape and color are both similiar to something Costa showed us for pre-fall and fall 2011. Paltrow slinked down the red carpet like a silver waterfall in this, and to top it all off (literally), she went with stick straight hair, a warm tan, and simple, fresh make-up. the hair in particular is spot on, as i'm a firm believer that Calvin Klein and curling irons don't belong together. super chic, very bold, and another reason why i love/hate GP! i'll never be as thin, chic, or strong as GP (she's always doing some kind of extreme cleanse or elimination diet that i'll never have the willpower for!), but i'll always strive to be!
3. Michelle Williams (Chanel Haute Couture): talk about sweet redemption from the Golden Globes! my goodness, Michelle was a vision in creamy white when she ascended the red carpet last night. Michelle is one of the very few women who can pull off a short sleeve gown and still look chic and gamine. this dress photographs well but doesn't do justice to how insane it is in person..the level of hand-beading on this gown is Karl Lagerfeld and the Chanel Couture team at their finest. Michelle styled the look perfectly with just a ring and simple earrings (Harry Winston), her pixie cut (which i dream of being able to pull off...keep dreaming), and big doe eyes. she looked sleek and understated, but in all the right ways. and her body? amazing. this dress was tailored to her within an inch of its life and that body did it justice!
4. Florence Welch (Valentino Haute Couture): Florence Welch is quickly becoming one of my red carpet favorites. she tends to take risks and wear really tough-to-wear couture looks, but she manages to pull them off! at the Grammy's, she wore a stunning Givenchy Couture swan gown (having her Bjork moment!), and last night, she looked beautiful and quirky in this lace and tiered skirt Valentino piece. the color works so well with her skin and hair, and she's just oozing confidence and gorgeousness. in a sea of boring glittery/tulle-covered frocks, she stood out and looked very ethereal, which matches perfectly with her personality and voice. a modern day Janis Joplin with an eye for fierce couture.
5. Hailee Steinfeld (Marchesa): Hailee Steinfeld was too perfect in this custom Marchesa dress. The 14-year-old actress actually drew her dream dress herself, and then Marchesa made it happen for her. she looks so adorable, so age-appropriate, and so elegant and poised in this dress. the tea length is perfect on her, the color is so sweet, and the detail work and fit makes her look like a princess. i only wish she would have done without the headband...but she's 14 so i'll let it slide. and not to mention...she interviews so well. she comes off so down to earth and poised. i love her. (and p.s. girl is working some HEELS for being 14 years old! good for her!)
Most Unexpectedly Chic: Marky Mark's wife in Naeem Khan. she look so amazing and fierce, right?! and when they were interviewed, Mark Wahlberg was all about making sure everyone got a good look at her dress. he was proud to be with her. love that! she looks gorgeous!
Best Dressed Man: Jesse Eisenberg looked amazing in his Band of Outsiders tux, and i love that he wore Band of Outsiders! love the NY fashion scene love. and omg he's just too cute, and i absolutely loved him in The Social Network and i think he should have won the Oscar. i know Colin Firth is amazing and he looked very dashing in his Tom Ford tux, but i was team Eisenberg!
Best Serial Killer Chic: Christian Bale...err...Patrick Bateman in Gucci. he always does black on black and always looks amazing and i love his beard and he sounds like a guy who would be my chimmney sweep and i don't care, i love him. he doesn't dress crazy, but he always LOOKS crazy, right? LOVE.
Most Random, but CHIC, Appearance: Sharon Stone in Dior. She looked so fierce! why was she there? who knows?
Best use of Ostrich: Hilary Swank in Gucci. WOWWWWW. not what i expected out of Gucci! stunning.
Honorable mentions: Amy Adams (L'wren Scott), Mila Kunis (Elie Saab Haute Couture), Natalie Portman (Rodarte), Oprah (Zac Posen), Celine Dion (Armani Prive), Helen Mirren (Vivienne Westwood), Mandy Moore (Monique Lhuillier)
Worst Dressed...after the jump...CLICK ON!